Who should install a new gas appliance?

Never try to install a new gas appliance yourself. Whether you’re putting in a gas fireplace, water heating, oven, cooktop or heating system, you must always get a licensed gasfitter on the job (it’s illegal for anyone else to carry out gasfitting work). They’ll ensure it’s connected correctly, flued and ventilated properly, and in good working order, and most importantly safe to use.

All authorised tradespeople must carry their authorisation card issued by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board. Sanitary plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying are regulated industries in New Zealand and it’s illegal for anyone to do this work unless they are authorised by the Board to do so.

If you want to know more about gas and gas appliances click here.